Sunday, November 6, 2011

November 6, 2011

Clocks are driving me insane.
I'm not talking about daylight savings time. That, I love. Gaining an hour of sleep will always be a plus for me. What I mean is that I have two ticking clocks in my room. It's practically driving me nuts. They're perfectly, oppositely(?) in sync as well. In that slight pause between ticks of one, the other one ticks so it's just a constant tick tick tickticktick tick in my room all day and all night. Alas, I'm too lazy to do anything about it and I like the clocks. One's my old fashioned alarm clock which I actually use to wake up in the morning and the other is the Doctor Who clock my sister just got me for my birthday. So this has been a paragraph about nothing, since I am sitting right next to them and they will continue to tick, they will continue to drive me crazy and I will just sit here allowing them to do so. Moving on...

The running every day is actually going pretty well. I'm not running at night because the nights here in Michigan have been getting quite cold now. Still, I have been finding time for a half an hour run almost every day and I'm starting to feel healthy. Or at least, this is how I assume healthy people feel. It's a very new feeling for me.

News of the week, I found an apartment to live in for the next year at school. I got myself a private room. It's more expensive but I figure that since I'm a junior now, I deserve it. Plus, the apartments are right across campus, I'll walk instead of driving to school and that will actually save me a lot of money. I'll also be able to walk to Jimmy Johns because they're right next to that as well. I guess I better start kissing this new diet goodbye because I'm not sure I'll be able to resist the temptation. I will get fat off of delicious gourmet subs. The apartments themselves seem nice. They aren't nearly as new as the ones I was at last year were but I think I'd prefer older apartments. Too new of a place and I feel a tad bit awkward, but I'm always awkward so I don't know why I even bother!

A lesson learned from this week was: Babies are hard.
I know just last week I said I had an evening with Evette and everything went great, and it really did. But this week I had my day off on Thursday from work so I took her off my mum's hands for a while during the day. All I want to say about the experience was that if you're tired, you should sleep. Not cry. I don't understand how crying could be a solution for being tired. It just makes you more tired. So my message to babies are "if you want to sleep, sleep!" Now I realize that babies are, well, babies. They do what they want the only way they know how. So I forgive Evette and I got over my little freak out but it's made me realize that I am no where near ready to have a family. I already knew that actually, but it just reaffirmed that realization. Does that make sense?
Now this sounds all negative and if Lorie reads this, she's going to hate me. Let me be clear, I love Evette. I don't hate babies. I'm still not used to them but I don't hate children. Evette is adorable and no matter what I say now I'm just going to end up digging a bigger grave for myself so I better just stop now. It's taking all I have to not just delete this paragraph.

Jeff Bridges! (I'm really great at changing the subject!) He had his album come out a while ago titled, you guessed it, 'Jeff Bridges'. I'm not too sweet on the whole country thing, but if anyone were to make me go country, it would be Jeff Bridges. Because it's Jeff Bridges. You just can't say the name Jeff Bridges enough. It's a wonderful name, Jeff Bridges. Anywho, I got a birthday package from my friend Sarah and inside was a beautiful leather bound version of Jane Eyre and the Jeff Bridges CD. There is one word for that album, life changing. Okay, two words. I hadn't heard any of the songs before but by the first song on the album, I was already sobbing. Jeff Bridges just knows my life, you know?

What A Little Bit Of Love Can Do
(Whatever you do, don't fall in love with the little finger dance he does at 2:13)

It's also weird just listening to his music and thinking daaang, his voice is so fantastic I can just imagine him still being only 25. Not that anyone I know does that. Ahem.

I feel like I do a lot of complaining on here, or maybe it's just today so I'll just mention that 13 hour work days are not fun at all. In fact, they should be banned. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are. Then the police find my blog and charge into the bar accusing my manager of working us without a break or something. Ah, that would be a good day. Although, honestly, I enjoy the money from those long days I work. Especially since at the moment, I really need the cash. I don't currently have my debt card. The ATM at the bank ate it.

It's my fault really. I went to the drive through ATM at my bank to deposit the cash from the past few days of work. I drove up, stuck in my card, gave my information then started to fill out the envelope with my moneys information on it. But I was too slow and since I took so long, the ATM popped out my card. Well, I was still working on the envelope so I decided to just let my card sit there for the few more moments that I would take. Bad idea. After a few seconds, the ATM ate it back up and wouldn't give it back. I sat there like an idiot, pushing all the different buttons hoping it would yield a result. Nope! I even thought maybe the card had fallen to the ground or something. So I got out of the car and crawled around on the floor for awhile searching. I'll even admit that I stuck another card in hoping to trick the machine into accidentally returning the other one. Obviously that didn't work. By this time, there was a car behind me and she was getting impatient. I didn't want to leave the ATM because what if my card was spat out while the woman behind me was at the ATM? So I just sat there. I didn't have my banks number in my phone and there was no number anywhere on the ATM or the envelope for the bank (a design flaw that I think ought to be changed immediately). Eventually the woman behind me got fed up and ended up going to a different drive through ATM, but not before giving me the finger. At this point, I decide to use my brain. Since I couldn't get a hold of my mother, I used a number I haven't used since I was eight; 411. Yup, I called information. Even that took forever because the information lady didn't believe that my bank existed and couldn't, for the life of her, spell the words I was giving her. Eventually I got a hold of my banks headquarters. And then after another long minute I got a hold of an actual human being. All this time my brain has been working (shocking, I know). By the time I finish telling the lady my story I stop and realize, my card was probably taken for security reasons. Cards after a while get re-ingested and kept in case the people drove away without them. Sure enough, I was right. I won't get my card again until some time after Monday.

After all this, I went into the bank and had to wait another 30 minutes for a teller to actually deposit my money.

Lorie and Evette left tonight to return to California and the house is already strangely quiet without them. They'll be back again for Christmas along with my brother, his wife and their kid, Alex! It will be a full household. I'll be kicked out of my room and out of my bed, but that's what you have to do for family sometimes, right?

I guess after all this, I should probably say that I have decided on a major for school.
Biology.
Funny how after all this, deep down I'm still in love with science. Sometimes it takes all that trouble to realize that you were in the right spot the whole time. I want to focus maybe on genetics. Genetics have always been a favorite of mine and I swear I should not enjoy doing punnett squares as much as I do. At least I'm excited now.
A biology major with a minor in culinary arts. That's who I am.

1 comment:

  1. Biology is your thang. And I actually watched the video! (Although probably only because you talked of a finger dance that I wanted to see...)

    ReplyDelete