Monday, April 15, 2013

April 15, 2013

What is the best thing to do the second to last weekend before the end of the semester and finals? Study? No. Go to Chicago for the weekend and do no homework? Yes! 

When in doubt, take a vacation. This weekend I went down to Chicago to visit Cindy and Michael. It seemed like a good idea and it was. I love visiting them, in fact I enjoy being there so much that I had a very hard time leaving. Which is also why I didn't get back to my apartment until almost 3 am this morning. Yeah, I did make it in time for my chemistry class this morning. Yeah, I am quite tired at the moment. Yeah, it was totally worth it.  If I didn't have responsibilities and expectations of myself, I would have ditched school to just stay with them. I mean, wouldn't you when you get there and this is their view? 



Yeah, they get the lake and the city

I dunno about you but for me, that's a step up. Do you know what I can see from my window? A parking lot. We had a lot of fun though, played some awesome games, caught up, ate some good food and a lot of it. I got to make sushi for the first time. I've always enjoyed sushi but I had never physically made it myself before. At first, Cindy and Michael were making it and I was just watching and being the honorary sushi platter holder but then Cindy decided that I needed to step in for Michael. I'm proud to say I did quite well and it tasted delicious. Another food awesome related thing is Wow Boa. 


Hot Asian buns! 

Why do only big cities like Chicago get places like that? Wow Boa is only in Chicago but they appear to ship anywhere in the US. Although when I tried their site it said it was down, upsetting. We had legume buns and then coconut cream ones for dessert and let me tell you, they were both delicious. 

Enough about food, I know what you want to know about. You want to hear about the sharks! Yes, sharks! 


I know, terrible picture but it's very hard to take a picture of a shark when they keep moving. And don't worry baby shark, I know you can't ever stop swimming or you'll die. I understand you.

Yes, we went to the Shedd Aquarium! They have an exhibit on Jelly Fish right now and it was really cool. Kind of different to see the things that I learned about in Biology last semester in action rather than just in books. I'm happy to say I remembered a lot of the random facts about Jelly Fish. Maybe marine biology is my true calling. My genetics professor might agree with me now after he's seen our last test. Although we laughed it all off in the lab this morning because we share a common 'can't function on only three hours of sleep but force myself to anyway' trait. Still, I do indeed love sharks and fish are very weird. Jelly fish even weirder because they're such simple animals. No brain, just nerve net. 


Also, I still can not get over the sting rays. 


mermermermerrrrmerrrrrr
That's what I think sting rays sound like.

The weather was beautiful on Sunday, maybe a little cold on Saturday when we were walking to go see Michael's brother's production of Cabaret but at even when I was leaving last night at like midnight, it was pleasant. At least I didn't leave the nice weather in Chicago. It seems to have followed me back to school. Let's hope it lasts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment