Sunday, February 17, 2013

February 17, 2013


One of the best holidays of the year was this week! It fills you up with warm happy feelings. There's nothing like sharing it with someone you really care about. I'm talking about Paczki Day! 

Everyone else may know it as Fat Tuesday, but for everyone in Michigan it's paczki day (pronounced poonch-key). It's a Polish tradition, the best Polish tradition. Every fat Tuesday, they made paczkis to get rid of their excess sugar and fruit before lent. As you can imagine they are very very bad for you but they taste so so good. 


This year I bought 24 paczki and took them to one of my TLA meetings. I still ended up eating most of them? I didn't mean to get that many I just didn't know what kind people would like! Raspberry? Strawberry? Apple? Glazed? Powdered? Sugared? Cream? So I got some of all of them. It was a good paczki day, and I shall now go back to being healthy. 

The hunt for a new apartment has begun. It's not that I don't like where I am now, it's a nice apartment, I just don't like the location and would prefer something a little quieter. Began looking at some places and it's been interesting. The first apartment I went to go see was a hole in the ground! Just terrible! Maybe it would have been better if the people who are still currently living there didn't have trash piled four feet high. If they really want to sell the place, they could have cleaned up a bit for the showings. I'll find something eventually. 

I'm slowly recovering from being sick. I'm not kidding when I say that last weekend I mostly slept. I would go to sleep at 4pm and not wake up until 11am and then I'd be up for a few hours and then right back to sleep. I've felt a lot better the past few days, well enough to go back to work and thank goodness for that because they've really needed everyone that they can get for this week. Working at a restaurant for Valentines Day is always interesting. People come in at peak dinner times without calling ahead and they're so surprised that it's going to be an hour and a half wait. It's 6:30pm on Valentines Day! What else did you expect?? I really do want to know! Then of course the people who scoff and say they're going elsewhere... you're going to drive about for half an hour and then have to wait just as long or longer anywhere else. Humans give me headaches.  


This is my new ring, it once used to be a spoon! I finally decided on something to use the etsy gift card that I'd been given for Christmas. I got a few prints and this little guy to replace my old ring which I have finally accepted as lost. Which upsets me because I was really attached to it and it used to be my aunt's who has passed away. I've never been good with rings even though I love to wear them. This one fits perfectly though and I think it's as cool as beans. 

I've signed up for my two summer classes this week. First part of summer I'll be taking the lab for the chem class I'm in right now. I would have taken it this semester but it didn't fit in my schedule because no matter what, physics got in the way. The second part of summer will be microbiology. I'm only slightly worried about that because it's a five credit course smashed into a seven week period. It'll be the only thing I'm taking in the second half of summer but it might just kill me anyway. 

Yesterday, I went to go see a production with some friends. Well, it was supposed to be plural but everyone bailed last second and only one guy went with me. Then things got kind of weird because I think it turned into a date? I showed up and he was already there and told me he had bought me a ticket. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had already gotten my ticket days ago so I just went with it. After the play he asked me out but I'm kind of the queen at being horrible with letting guys down. I'm pretty sure he knows I meant no? I'm flattered but we get along so well, he and I, that I just want him to stay as a friend. Friendship means more to me personally. 

With that said, the actual play, Communicating Doors, was fantastic, absolutely hilarious. It's about these ladies who are all connected through time because each was murdered years apart. They discover a door that lets each of them travel twenty years back from their current time and they use it to band together and stop their murders! The girl who played one of the ladies, a prostitute from 2033 named Pheobe, was the best. She reminded me of Amy Poehler. All and all, it was great and there's some real talent here at Western. I'm excited to go to future productions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment