Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 15, 2013

Biggest surprise this week was the adoption of a 22 pound kitten. Last weekend, I heard from a coworker that she had a friend who needed to get rid of a cat. They had adopted him a few months before but their older cat did not appreciate having a little brother and tormented the poor 'little' guy. They were about to go on vacation for two months and did not think it was wise to leave the two together for that long of a period on their own. Of course, they waited until last minute to try and find someone to adopt him and had decided to have him euthanized if they couldn't find anyone in two days.


When I went to work on Tuesday, I asked my coworker if they had found someone yet. She told me no, they hadn't and the two days were up. They were going to take him to the vet the next day. What else was I to do? I absolutely refuse to stand by and allow something like that to happen. I volunteered. I nearly jumped over the bar volunteering. Within ten hours I suddenly had a cat. They never told me how big he was though. That was a bit of a surprise. We's on a diet though, and I think he'll do alright losing weight with me because he's on a no people food diet. When the woman was dropping him off, she was telling me all about his favorite things which mostly included human food. "Oh, he just loves pizza, cupcakes, bread, and ice cream, and cookies! He'll eat anything!" Well, that explains a lot, doesn't it?

There are multiple reasons why I've named him Pancake.

He is a complete sweetheart though. He purrs more than Ellie even does. It's almost constant and if it wasn't so cute, it would probably drive me crazy! From the very get go, he was friendly, even if he was hiding under my bed for the first day. He's never snipped at me or hissed or anything. He just lumbers around, purrs and gets his hair everywhere. So I named in Pancake. Seemed appropriate. And our second night together, we made pancakes. He's now brave enough to leave my room, although the smallest noise still startles him. I think he'd gotten used to living at a (semi) quiet home and living in an apartment where there are people all around you, is a bit harder. Plus, it is a college apartment complex so that doesn't even include all the strange noises outside.

I just really love this photo, I dunno why

So now Ellie has a younger brother (he's about two) and she doesn't even know about it. Ellie wasn't going to move in with me until next month when I move apartments. I'm assuming that since she's a lovely cat that they'll get along. We'll see, because this could get interesting. Between moving and then going off to Florida a few days later, I don't know how I'm going to do this. I'll figure it out though. At least that's what I keep telling people. This whole thing is making me realize though that I don't think I can handle more than two cats at the moment. At least not until I get a larger apartment/house and have a cat garden.

Which, let's be honest, will probably look just like this

It's getting better now that he's getting brave enough to leave my room but to be keeping such close quarters with such a large cat for the last week? Ha. All the black in my wardrobe (which is basically my whole wardrobe) is now under threat of white cat hair. Once Ellie is living with us, her dark hair is going to ruin all my light clothes. So, I might as well start going naked right now, shouldn't I? Never mind the fact that I brush him at least once a day if not twice. Darn this summer weather!

Yeah, that's the other problem. Summer. Don't like it. It's gross. I don't like the heat. I do not approve. As far as I'm concerned the year could go from Spring to Fall to Winter and so forth. The class part of my chem class is going well, understanding things so far but our first test isn't until next week so we'll actually find out then, won't we? The lab part of the class... ehhhhhhh. It's not hard but the TA is incompetent so it turns out to be a lot more work than it needs to be. To put it mildly. Now I'm just being rude, whoops. Since that's not a good note to end on, here's a picture of Pancake. Because he's adorable.



1 comment:

  1. That is the fattest and cutest cat I have ever seen. you are the greatest for saving Pancake.

    ReplyDelete