Sunday, September 30, 2012

September 30, 2012

Before I start writing, I have been told that no-one is allowed to buy me Terry Pratchett's new book, Dodger. Apparently the person who told me that has already got it covered. Sneaky little wonderful person, you! 

Also before I start writing, It's starting to look like autumn finally. This couldn't make me anymore excited because fall is the best and the leaves are starting to turn and cider is everywhere and pumpkin is in everything and it just makes me happy.

Also, an announcement. Because I know everyone is just so curious about the daily health of my tomato plant, I thought it would be important to state that Chaplin, is growing a new tomato. I don't have him at Western with me but I got a photo from my mother last week.


Chaplin lives! We had thought him dead, and had left him to die with dignity but apparently he's still got some love to give. He still does not look the best but props to him.

With that out of the way, last weekend I went camping up in Holland, MI with my sister and parents. It was a nice break away from school (even if it has only just begun) and I don't even feel guilty about missing Friday in order to make it a longer holiday for myself. It was worth it and even the rain that happened all weekend wasn't that much of a bother at all!


Of course, in Holland they have a windmill that it operational and does make it's own flour. It wasn't running the day we went but I've been to Holland a couple times before and I vaguely remember it running one of those times. 
This windmill was actually from the Netherlands. They have a really high quantity of Dutch people in Holland, MI (duh, that's why it's called Holland) and they begged and pleaded for a windmill so this is what they got. They took one apart from the Holland and shipped it over and put it back together. Now it's been here for over 150 years.

My issue with the Dutch is, that I have no issue at all. I just wish that their beautiful blue china wasn't so expensive. I honestly wish I could have gotten some of these. There was so much and they were all so beautiful but I am a poor college student so I had to tell myself no. It was difficult because I have always had a soft spot for blue china and I think I can safely say I inherited that from my mother. 

 
I will return, and when I do, all that is mine.

Over the weekend I drank my first apple cider of the season. Nothing beats Michigan apple cider. In town we found a little cider and pie shop that was run by the local apple orchard and all got donuts and cider. You know you're from Michigan when you have to dip your donuts in cider. I wait for this all year. They even had this drink call ci-tea which was half green tea and half apple cider and so of course I had to have that and it's probably now in my top ten favorite drinks of all time. That's saying a lot. 

Like I stated before, it pretty much rained all weekend but that didn't stop us from going to the beach. Ahhh lake Michigan, how nice to see you!


 


Perfect day for the beach, yes? It was all fine and dandy for a while. Cindy and I scared some seagulls who couldn't even fly away because the wind was so bad and the waves were quite fun to watch. Then it started raining pretty bad. That's when we made our retreat back to the trailer.

I think that's around the time Cindy decided to teach me how to play Magic. We played a couple times over the weekend since we did have so much time to be spent indoors. I'm not very good at it at all. I think my brother tried teaching me how to play when I was eight or so but that hadn't gone very well either. First time against Cindy, she destroyed me. Second time, she beat me even faster. Third time, I won. This probably was because she let me win.


Back to school, I've spent hours and hours on the school website and talking to my adviser and looking things over and it looks like I'll be graduating spring of 2014. Ha.

That seems like so far away but It's really only three more semesters (not including a summer semester) and I'm sure it will be here before I know it. I'll graduate sooner here than if I had stayed in Idaho. Not because it will be in less semesters but because of Idaho's weird schedule I would have been done in the summer of 2014 there. But technically Western is upping my graduation date so that makes me laugh a little bit.

I had my first biology exam on Friday and I'm pretty sure I smoked it. Cross your fingers for me though because whenever I feel like I've done very well on a test it turns out that I haven't at all so maybe I shouldn't be so cocky. I have a calc exam on Monday and a history exam on Thursday so that will be fun and no one really cares about when my hw is due specifically so I should just stop typing right about now.


 This is my current state! I had decided to try something new that I'd never done before and in the process, I'm sad to admit that I may have sliced, jabbed, stabbed into my thumb. At first I was worried that I was going to need stitches. The tool did go quite deep before it registered in my brain that I was in pain. I don't think that I will though because it's a lot better today even if I don't have any bandages. I don't know where I heard it from but somewhere once someone had told me that if you don't have band-aids that you could always glue a cut together. I don't have glue either. I do have rubber cement though. It didn't work. Then I just resorted to taping tissues to my finger with packaging tape because that's the only kind of tape I have. Now that I think about it, I have no idea what has happened to all my bandages. They probably got lost somewhere between Idaho and here. A shame though because they were Avengers and they were cool.

Now you're probably wondering what I was doing that required a tool so sharp that it was able to go at least a centimeter into my thumb without me realizing it!  I was making my own stamps. Yes, more useless hobbies but maybe one day I'll use them for something cool and everyone else will agree and say 'wow, yes, that does make that a lot more cool.'

In case you don't know, this is Sherlock and Watson from BBC's Sherlock. 
Both seasons are on Netflix right now so go watch it and sob.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for Chaplin!!! It sounds like you are having a great time. Do you like all your roommates? Good job acing your test. I need to know how the bus system works, can you explain it to me? Do you pay before or after your ride?

    ReplyDelete